||SQL Server Tips by Gama and Naughter
SQL Server default databases
When installed, Microsoft SQL Server 2000
creates six databases by default:
1. master - contains the database system
catalogs and data particular to each database.
2. model - contains a template for newly
created user databases.
3. tempdb - database used for storing
temporary data and for sort operations.
4. msdb - contains the data for the SQL
Server Agent (jobs, alerts and replication).
5. Pubs - sample database with the sales
data for a book publishing company.
6. Northwind - sample database with the
sales data for Northwind Traders, a company that imports and exports
The above book excerpt is from:
Turbocharge Database Performance with C++ External Procedures
Joseph Gama, P. J. Naughter